Applied Bioinformatics Certificate
College: College of Natural & Health Sciences
The Graduate Certificate in Applied Bioinformatics is being offered through the established collaborative online MS in Applied Biotechnology and will include both existing and new courses. The certificate represents a fully online, asynchronous curriculum comprised of 12 credits to include four courses. As is the case with the MS in Applied Biotechnology degree, UW-Green Bay, UW-Madison, UW-Oshkosh, UW-Parkside, UW-Platteville, UW-Stevens Point, and UW-Whitewater will offer the certificate jointly. The program will serve as both an in-program learning opportunity and additional credential for MS-ABT degree-seeking students as well as a freestanding certificate program for non-degree (certificate-only) seeking students who may or may not elect to continue to the MS degree program. Students will select and enroll at a home campus from which they will receive academic supports and the certificate is conferred.
Program Learning Outcomes
Upon completion of this certificate, students will be able to demonstrate proficiency in the following program learning outcomes aligned with the M.S. in Applied Biotechnology program.
- Competency A: Demonstrate professional and scientific communication appropriate for biotechnology settings
- Program Outcome 1: Select the most appropriate modalities, methodologies, tools, and practices to communicate complex ideas effectively across diverse audiences.
- Program Outcome 3: Construct and deliver effective, professional presentations
- Competency B: Demonstrate comprehensive understanding of organizational processes and product development pipelines
- Program Outcome 4: Evaluate and describe systems of product research, development, and production
- Competency C: Distinguish among diverse methods and technologies and their applications in biotechnology
- Program Outcome 8: Compare and contrast emerging with existing technologies
- Program Outcome 9: Exhibit strong technical knowledge to evaluate and choose appropriate technologies
- Program Outcome 10: Demonstrate the ability to read, interpret and apply scientific literature
- Program Outcome 11: Demonstrate competency in data analyses and statistics used in biotechnology
- Students will also demonstrate proficiency in this certificate-specific program outcomes:
- Demonstrate competency in use of python programming strategies to solve problems in bioinformatics
- Demonstrate the ability to integrate python programming strategies with complementary resources, especially UNIX, GitHub, and libraries.
Admission to the Graduate Certificate in Applied Bioinformatics
Admission requirements for the Graduate Certificate in Applied Bioinformatics program will include a Bachelor’s degree and a 3.0 undergraduate GPA. Program prerequisite will include General Biology with lab.
Requirements for the Graduate Certificate in Applied Bioinformatics
These certificate requirements consist of four required courses, three credits each for a total of 12 credits.
|ABT 720||Experimental Design and Analysis in Biotechnology||3|
|ABT 730||Python for Bioinformatics||3|
|ABT 780||Bioinformatics Inquiry||3|
|ABT 785||Applications of Bioinformatics||3|
|Successful completion of the certificate requires a grade of C or better in each of the certificate courses and a certificate GPA of 3.0 or better.|